Ikando helps organisations across Africa to access free development solutions, so enabling them to progress and achieve their ultimate aims. We provide consultancy services, skilled volunteers and a contact network to our partner organisations. These combined services allow the nonprofit partner organisations to manage their affairs better, access different skill sets through the placement of volunteers and link up with other organisations who are of benefit to them.
Though we recruit volunteers on behalf of other organisations and projects, we also require a few volunteers. All of our volunteer placements working directly for Ikando are free of charge.
Web & Graphic Designers
FREE: Ikando is looking for a web designer to develop the websites of Ikando projects. The volunteer must have substantial PHP script & Dreamweaver experience.
FREE: Ikando requires a dedicated volunteer to help them set up a range of online databases. The volunteer must have previous experience.
FREE: An experienced and dedicated SEO Consultant is required to monitor overall search engine performance and assist with keywording.
FREE: Ikando is looking for a marketing assistant to help develop brochures and market our services online to universities and career development organisations.
FREE: We are looking for someone to help us develop & set-up new and existing profit-making projects to help keep the costs for our volunteers as low as possible.
FREE: We need someone to help keep our accommodations looking spick and span. Work will include painting, gardening, putting up shelves, etc.
- You must be at least 18 years of age upon application.
- You must have a background of relevance to the individual position and have a strong interest in helping the underprivileged.
- We have limited computers available for volunteers to work on, as such you will be required to bring your own laptop to work on.
- In order to maintain the sustainability and high performance of this project all interns are required to complete a detailed hand-over document for successive interns .
- You will need to be flexible and tolerant, show initiative and enthusiasm to face the many hurdles and challenges that you will encounter.
- All volunteers working with Ikando are expected to adhere to the same rules as our local staff. This means you will be expected to work a full 8-hr day, turn up to work on time and complete assignments in a timely fashion.
- Volunteers must be able to work independently with little or no guidance.
- Volunteers may be required to meet our partner organisations, please therefore ensure you pack one or two smarter outfits.
- All volunteers may at times be required to help out in and around the office with general office administation duties.
- Volunteers working directly for Ikando can take time-off during their placement. You can take the equivalent of up to 30 days off per year.
- A completed application form - required for application.
- A personal or professional reference given by an employer, teacher, lawyer or doctor. This reference must include detail of the context in which the referee knows you and stating that he/she knows of no reason why you should not volunteer. The referee should also provide their contact details in order that Ikando can contact them prior to your departure to confirm the reference given. This reference should be emailed by the referee to info [at] ikando.org.
- A copy by email to info [at] ikando.org of your travel (including medical) insurance certificates.
- Information on your travel arrangements (flight number, airline, arrival and departure time and dates). We always recommend volunteers who book online to email us their booking.
- A copy of the photo page of your passport to be emailed to info [at] ikando.org.
All Documentation must be sent to us at least two weeks before arrival.
Academic credit is available for this placement. Email us for more information.
|Project Duration||Minimum Duration 4 weeks - Maximum Duration 26 weeks (can be extended in-country)|
|Dates||Not available in June, July and August. Available September through to May.|
|Airport to fly into||Accra Airport (ACC) - (also known as Kotoka International Airport)|
|In-country Budget||From $50 on a tight budget to $150 p/week if you wish to explore Ghana. Read more...|
|Time-off||Volunteers working directly for Ikando will be given the equivalent of 30 days holiday per year.|
What is included?
What is not included?
Health and Safety
Ghana is one of the safest countries in Africa. In the Global Peace Index it is ranked above the US. It is the perfect introduction for first time volunteers to Africa. It has a democratic electoral process and a stable economy. Our ten-strong team in Ghana is there to ensure your health and safety at all times and you'll have emergency support 24/7.
The volunteer will be housed in our accommodation in the centre of town, with it possible to walk from the accommodation to nearby shops, communication centres, bars and restaurants. The spacious accommodation with a fully furnished kitchen is well maintained and has live-in staff to ensure you are well looked after. The surrounding garden and balconies overlooking Accra are perfect for chill out sessions with fellow volunteer housemates.
Food is not included in our placements as in our experience volunteers prefer to cater for themselves. We have a fully furnished kitchen and our staff will show you where you can do your shopping. Western-style supermarkets and the bustling markets can be found nearby. A weekly vegetable & fruit shop can cost as little at $10, however shopping at the western-style supermarkets can be quite dear as most goods are imported.
"Quarshi (Ikando Staff) will introduce you to a woman named Felicia who sells mangos and bananas. Her mangos may very well be the sweetest in town. And, you will love shopping in the market." Elise Wray.
Airport Pick up
An Ikando member of staff will be at the airport arrivals to meet you and take you to the Accra accommodation. Please be aware that arrivals is located outside the airport, just keep an eye out for a sign with your name on it. Please ensure you send us your flight details two weeks before arrival.
Volunteers must arrange their own flights to Accra Airport (ACC). Please be aware that you should aim to arrive on the day your placement is due to start. If you are unable to do so please just check first with your volunteer coordinator whether the new dates also work for us. The following airlines fly into Accra:
- Alitalia (Lagos, Rome-Fiumicino)
- British Airways (London-Heathrow)
- Delta Air Lines (New York-JFK)
- EgyptAir (Cairo)
- Emirates (Abidjan, Dubai)
- Ethiopian Airlines (Abidjan, Addis Ababa, Lagos, Lome)
- Ghana International Airlines (London-Gatwick, Dusseldorf)
- Kenya Airways (Nairobi, Freetown, Monrovia)
- KLM (Amsterdam)
- Lufthansa (Frankfurt, Lagos)
- South African Airways (Johannesburg)