Teaching Assistant with Street Academy
Though the academy does not offer formal education there is still a great need for teaching assistants to help with teaching and to offer educational support to students. The role of the
Teaching Assistant is to act as support staff to the teachers at the school. Your main responsibility
will be companion, guide and teacher to those children needing special educational support at
primary level. You will need to have basic qualifications in English and Mathematics, have an interest in child welfare and a natural ability to communicate and relate to children and teenagers.
The volunteers will be required to do some or all of the following:
- Encouraging teachers to identify children in need of additional help.
- Assist children who are falling behind with basic literacy and numeracy, one to one or in small groups.
- Assist gifted children in more challenging assignments set, at your encouragement by the staff.
- Developing and implementing a simple, sustainable system of record keeping of each childâ€™s progress to present to the teacher and Principal.
- Working with others to plan and co-ordinate work;
- You must be at least 18 years of age upon application.
- You must have a proven interest in teaching and have a strong interest in helping disadvantaged children.
- In order to maintain the sustainability and high performance of this project all volunteers are required to complete a detailed hand-over document for successive volunteers.
- You will need to be flexible and tolerant, show initiative and enthusiasm to face the many hurdles and challenges that you will encounter.
- The volunteer must be able to work in basic working conditions and with very little equipment.
- This post does not require a high level of experience but commitment and enthusiasm is essential.
The Application Process
Step 1: The Application Form - To apply for one of our positions please complete our online application form. To save us and more importantly our already overstretched partner organisations time, please only complete this form if you are serious about applying.
Step 2: The Additional Info Form - As soon as we receive approval for your placement from the partner organisation we will send you an additional form to complete. This form requests information on your emergency contact details, your health background and other important information. Please email this form back to us as soon as possible.
Step3: Secure your Placement - Once we receive your additional information form back we will invoice you for your placement. Your deposit will be due within a week of the date of the invoice. If you are applying less than 60 days before the start of your placement, you will be invoiced for the whole amount. Please be aware that your placement is not secured until you have received confirmation from us of receipt of either the deposit or full payment. Once you have secured your placement you can start booking flights. We recommend you purchase insurance as soon as you secure your placement.
Step 4: Speak to your In-Country Coordinator - We will email you a week before your remainder is due. As soon as we receive your remainder we will introduce you to your In-Country Coordinator who will help you prepare for your trip and will ensure that an Ikando member of staff is at the airport to meet you.
- A completed application form - required for application.
- A personal or professional reference given by an employer, teacher, lawyer or doctor. This reference must include detail of the context in which the referee knows you and stating that he/she knows of no reason why you should not volunteer. The referee should also provide their contact details in order that Ikando can contact them prior to your departure to confirm the reference given. This reference should be emailed by the referee to info [at] ikando.org.
- A copy by email to info [at] ikando.org of your travel (including medical) insurance certificates.
- Information on your travel arrangements (flight number, airline, arrival and departure time and dates). We always recommend volunteers who book online to email us their booking.
- A copy of the photo page of your passport to be emailed to info [at] ikando.org.
All Documentation must be received byus at least two weeks before arrival.
We will provide you with a stress-free and in-depth introduction to Ghana by picking you up from the airport and giving you an orientation that helps to settle you into the country as quickly as possible. The Orientation will include showing you the places of interest in Accra, getting your money changed, informing you where you can do your shopping, and much, much more.
We have staff on-call 24/7, so if there is ever anything you need we are there and happy to be of assistance.
|Project Duration||Minimum Duration 4 weeks - Maximum Duration 52 weeks (can be extended in-country)|
|Dates||You can volunteer at any time throughout the year.|
|Pricing||£ 715 for 4 weeks, £ 92 per week thereafter. For prices in your local currency click here.|
|Deposit||£ 150 (included in total price)|
|Airport to fly into||Accra Airport (ACC) - (also known as Kotoka International Airport)|
|In-country Budget||From $50 on a tight budget to $150 p/week if you wish to explore Ghana. Read more...|
Click here for more information on our pricing.
What is included in the project fees?
In-country introduction to life in Ghana.
Airport pick-up & drop-off
24/7 Emergency support.
What is not included?
Flights & Visa
Vaccinations (please speak to your local GP)